Healthcare, PTO, retirement – oh my! Oh yes people. We’re talking about the big B word that seems to confuse everyone in their remote job search: Benefits! In the Remote Like Me Community group, I see tons of questions that basically come down to the same core concern: Can I get benefits as a remote worker? Some examples of things I’ve heard are:
- I need to have benefits to provide for my family as my partner’s job does not offer them. Without benefits through an employer it would be crazy expensive for where we live.
- 2 things concern me….pay and benefits. I make a nice salary and need to keep making something close to what I make. However, it seems like so many remote opportunities are assistants or entry level type work. Is this true or just what I am seeing? And what about benefits? This chick is getting too old to be uninsured.
- I have a chronic illness. No healthcare, no meds… no life for me.
- I’m a single mom and need (at the very least) family medical and dental coverage.
- I would love to still have a 401(k) with some sort of match but would go without if I could work remote.
- A lot of the remote jobs I come across are contract positions that do not offer healthcare or other benefits. I know they are out there, but it seems to be harder to find!
So… can you get great benefits as a remote worker? The answer is a huge YES! Maybe it’s the lack of knowledge that confuses people. So that stops today. I’m here to educate you on the possibilities that come with remote work. Newsflash! You can have the same pay, same benefits, and even better perks than working in an office. You just have to know where to look. I created this list to show you just a few examples of how good it can get. These are some of the top international remote companies who offer crazy benefits packages. Most of them are hiring right now!
It seems like Zapier is on the top of every remote work list ever created… for good reason. I wanted to share with you a little bit more information about what Zapier is and how you can get involved with them. They are one of the fastest growing Saas companies in the entire world. And I do mean FAST growing. Because of this they are always looking to grow and expand their team globally. Additionally, with so much future potential in the industry, you’ve got job security. Zapier has some amazing benefits and great reviews from their employees which is exactly why it’s on my list! Take a quick look at the benefits with this international remote company.
- Dental Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Life Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401K Plan
- Maternity & Paternity Leave
- Work From Home
- Reduced or Flexible Hours
- Paid holidays
- Vacations and paid time off as well as sick days
While Student Loan Hero only hires and gives benefits to those who are authorized to work in the United States, it HAS to be on my list because of their commitment to their employees. Their list of benefits along with their values and mission makes me want to apply right now! Seriously, just take a look at this incredible list of benefits. Then get going on your application.
- Health – Insurance on health, dental, and vision, plus up to $150/month for a gym membership or anything else health and wellness related.
- Retirement – 401k plan with company match.
- Reimbursements – Get reimbursed for spending money on things like coworking spaces, your home office, and even professional development.
- Time Off – Unlimited vacation days, all federal holidays, and some perks like Fridays off in the summer months.
- Stock – Yep, even that too!
- Retreats – International meetups with your teammates. Completely paid for.
- Technology – Want a new laptop? Done.
Buffer has raving reviews from most of its employees. People are just dying to work there! But why? Buffer has a commitment to culture and its customers. It has grown from its humble beginnings to serve more than 2 million people DAILY. Their passion for support, happiness and quality flow through everything that they do. I can imagine how this work environment simply feels good and allows people to do their best! Can you get down with these company values and benefits? I know I could!
- A Macbook to do your best work
- Annual retreats to meet up with the team (paid, of course!)
- Unlimited time off
- Free books
- Health insurance, 100% covered by Buffer
- Equity in the company
- Paid family leave
- Monthly stipend for education
4. InVision App
InVision has an incredibly diverse, virtual working environment that you might want to jump on right now! As an employee, you are able to help build businesses by working on unique projects. They’ve got one of the best remote work culture’s I’ve seen AND offer important benefits on top of that.
- Health insurance including dental, medical, vision, life insurance and a health savings account
- Retirement And 401k plan as well as stock options
- Maternity and parental leave as well as working from home
- Paid holidays, sick days and paid time off and paid vacation time
- They offer a gym membership and are a pet friendly workplace
- Professional development
BriteCore is a company where top performers in the tech industry build innovative software. They’ve got their company culture down to a pretty simple premise. “Bring creativity, focus, and productivity to your job, and enjoy 40 hour work weeks, flexible paid time off, and remote work.” Sounds good to me! How about these added benefits to sweeten the deal?
- Retirement plan with company match
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage including medical, dental, and vision
- Flexible schedule
- Relaxed work environment
- Remote work encouraged
- Use of a company-issued MacBook Pro
- Opportunity for advancement
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization behind the famous Wikipedia platform. Working for them comes with these incredible perks and benefits, if you live in the USA. If you’re located elsewhere, these benefits vary.
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, massages, cooking classes and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
Basecamp has some of the most amazing benefits that I have ever seen. I am quite honestly a bit jealous! Their page should be bookmarked for every remote worker to check back on when they have openings. Basecamp has its HQ in Chicago but their team has grown and spread through 32 cities around the world. Everyone at Basecamp is free and encouraged to live and work in the places that they thrive. The team is diverse in many ways. In their own words, “We run the gamut in geography, lifestyle and interest, but we’re united by a common set of values and goals: have fun, do exceptional work, build the best product in the business, experiment, pay attention to the details, treat people right, tell the truth, have a positive impact on the world around us, give back, and keep learning.” Want to be a part of that? Here are the AMAZING benefits:
- Competitive salary (top 5%)
- 4 day summer work weeks
- $100/month Fitness Allowance
- Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Allowance
- One-Month Sabbatical Every Three Years
- Paid Parental Leave
- $100/month Massage Allowance
- $1000/annual Continuing Education Allowance
- Health & Dental Insurance
- Work Wherever You Want
- 100% match 401k Retirement plan
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- 100% Coverage of Hardware/Software
- Standing desks
- $100/month Coworking Space Stipend
- $1000/year Matching Charitable Gifts
- No-Red-Tape Expense Account
- Vacations and Paid Holidays
- Basecamp Holiday Gift
Lullabot is one of the top open source agencies in the world. They hire talented people who are amazing at their craft and keep them happy with a fun remote work culture and benefits to boot! They even claim that they are “ literally writing the book on how to create and operate a successful, dynamic and happy distributed company.” Well if that’s true, then here’s a few notes from their benefits chapter.
- 40 hour work weeks
- No commute: work from wherever you please
- Working with awesome people, doing awesome things
- We play games and celebrate birthdays/hiring anniversaries
- You’ll want our employee holiday gift package
- Fitbit fitness account
- Tripit Pro account
- Donation match
- Parental leave
- Tech stipend
- Event and Education budget
- Paid time off
- Stock options
- Life insurance
- Health Insurance
If you’re interested to hear more about the philosophy of remote work over at Lullabot, check out this article they wrote.
Nerd Wallet is calling all nerds to help build “industry-changing products and tools, empowering people with information and changing the way people think about their finances.” The company focuses on shaking things up in the finance world, making a difference, breaking the mold, loving their team, learning/growth, and paying it forward. Add their impressive benefits package into the mix, and you’ve got an ideal remote company to work for. The team is mixed between distributed workers and regular office employees in San Fransisco, CA. Check out their perks and benefits below.
- Competitive compensation package
- 401(k) with company match
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employee and their dependents
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Commuter, gym and cell phone stipend
- $500 enrichment stipend towards learning and development for your role
- Catered lunches daily, free dinner and kitchens stocked full of snacks
- Onsite coffee bar with baristas
- Company happy hours, social events and outings
- Generous, flexible vacation
- Remote: co-working space subsidy
- Remote: ergonomic desk, chair and/or keyboard subsidy
Help Scout is a customer-centric business with about 70 team members spread across 40+ cities all over the world. The company has every key aspect of a fantastic remote company, yet they do things a bit differently than the usual startup culture. “You won’t find any ping-pong tables or kegerators here. Instead, you’ll be surrounded by driven, supportive teammates who will push you to be better.” It’s clear that they’re looking for passionate, mature individuals with skills and great personality traits to add to their already impressive remote team. One hidden benefit of working for a company who is past the 5 year mark of working remotely (they were founded in 2011), is that the procedures and workflow for remote workers are already laid out for you. This means that remote teams are highly effective because the company has already gone through the growing pains of how their distributed employers work and collaborate best.
- Competitive Salary – We pay at or above market salary in most cases and evaluate a lot of research to make sure everyone is paid well. The formula we use to calculate all salaries is public to employees and is improved upon regularly.
- Health and dental insurance – We cover you and your family’s health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we’ll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you’re based outside the US, we offer a healthcare stipend.
- Long-term/Short-term Disability Insurance & Life Insurance – We cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST Disability insurance and base Life Insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider. (currently US only)
- Flexible vacation – Take time off when you need it, we trust you.
- Paid parental leave, including adoption and foster care – 12 weeks for the primary caretaker and 4 weeks for the secondary caretaker.
- 401k with 1% match – via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
- Personal Development stipend – Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
- Great tools – Each employee will be provided with a Mac laptop and 27” display (or equivalent equipment of choice).
- Home Office Stipend – You’ll also receive $1,000 to spend on outfitting your home office, as well as up to $350 a month to rent a co-working space if you like.
- Company Retreats – Twice a year, we get together to meet and work in person, covered by Help Scout.
- Complete transparency – Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Honestly, the list does not stop here. There are tons of remote companies offering incredible benefits all over the world; too many to include in detail. SkillCrush mentioned Olark and Meet Edgar in their list of cool remote jobs with benefits. If you’re interested in Social Media or Customer Service, check out their benefits in this article. Here are five additional companies I want to mention for their unique benefits and perks.
Feel free to discover more on your own as well. One of my favorite websites for female career advice, Power To Fly, has a page which features companies with incredible benefits and diverse culture. Now that we’ve listed more than 10 remote companies who offer impressive benefits packages, I hope you feel confident that the remote workforce is not just a bunch of gig work with no healthcare or paid time off. It is a thriving culture that gets better and better every day. With more companies going remote in a sustainable way (programs, benefits, and perks for their distributed employees), you can expect to see a rise in benefits offered. As you continue to job search, keep in mind that your ideal lifestyle can be achieved through remote work – you do not have to sacrifice security, stability, health care, and paid time off in order to work from home. You can have it all!
—–> If you like this post, pin it to save it for later or share it!